If you can answer YES to any of the following questions, you MAY have been the victim of a counterfeit scam, which is targeting Internet and Chat Room participants.
If any of the following are true, please contact your bank immediately to ensure that you do not fall victim to a foreign counterfeit scam and lose money.
- Have you recently been contacted via email, Internet chat rooms regarding the purchase of an item you have for sale on the Internet such as a boat, car, jewelry, etc?
- Have you recently been contacted by someone who wants to make an investment into a business you want to establish?
- Have you recently been contacted about winning a lottery that you did not enter?
- Did you receive a check within 24-48 hours from a person or entity other than the person or entity that indicated they were within your conversations?
- Did the check arrive with a Canadian or non-U.S. postal mark?
- Is the amount of the check more than the selling price of the item?
- Have you been asked to assist in the distribution of money from another country?
- Have you been instructed to wire funds out of the country as soon as possible due to a change in the original agreement?
Know who you are doing business with. If something seems too good to be true, it probably is.