The holiday season is a time filled with happiness and celebration, but it is also a time to take extra precautions for your personal and financial security. People are often in a rush buying gifts, decorating their homes, and traveling to visit friends and family. Amongst all the great cheeriness of the season, many people tend to let their guard down and become careless to potential theft and other holiday crimes. When you are out and about this holiday season, keep the following safety tips in mind:
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash. Pay for your purchases with a debit or credit card whenever possible.
- If you carry cash in your possession, do so in your front pocket so you are less likely to be pickpocketed.
- Watch yourself and your belongings in crowded areas and rushed situations. Thieves look for opportunities where victims would not even notice that they have been robbed.
- Avoid overloading yourself with packages. It is important to be observant of everything going on around you and have the ability to move around freely.
- Try to shop during the day. Many stores offer extended hours late into the night. Those parking lots can seem packed all evening and then empty out quickly near closing time. Keep parking lot safety top of mind.
- Make sure to pay attention to where you park. You don’t want to be wandering the parking lot alone struggling to find where you parked your car.
- Have your keys easily accessible. Don’t spend time in the parking lot searching through your handbag or pockets for your car keys while holding handfuls of shopping bags.
- If you discover a credit card is missing, notify the credit card company as soon as possible. Don’t assume you misplaced it or plan to look for it later.
- Be aware of strangers approaching you for any reason. Con-artists try various methods of distractions including working in teams with the intention to take your money or belongings.
Gearing up for the holiday season can be weeks of enjoyable planning and preparation for some and a chore for others. The important thing to remember amongst all the hustle and bustle is to take extra safeguards for your personal and financial well-being. What are your holiday safety tips? Please share your comments with us.