Support on this site for Internet Explorer 9 and Internet Explorer 10 will end on April 18, 2018. You must update your browser prior to then to continue accessing and UBTgo Online Banking. Learn More Here >>

Ask a Trust Officer: IRA Rollovers

Leslie Gibbens,

April 11, 2017

Retiring Your Way, Growing Your Wealth, Managing Your Money




When I retire in about a year, I’m expecting a six-figure distribution from my employer’s 401(k) plan. The success of my retirement turns on what I do with this money and I’m more than a little unsettled by the prospect. What should I do to keep all my options open?

DEAR LOOKING: I have two words for you: IRA Rollover. With this arrangement, you can continue the tax deferral that your 401(k) account has enjoyed so far. Be sure that you use a “trustee-to-trustee” transfer of the funds to avoid the 20% tax withholding that otherwise would apply to your distribution.

Will your distribution include shares of stock in your employer? If so, you should consider not rolling those shares over, but accepting them for your taxable portfolio. Income taxes on “net unrealized appreciation” in those securities may be deferred in this manner. Your accountant can give you more details.

You’ll also need an investment plan for your retirement money. When you undertake this, consider your taxable and tax-deferred funds as part of one large portfolio. The plan that you or your investment advisors come up with needs to take all your resources into account, as well as your retirement income needs. You are wise to be considering these questions a year before you retire. We can help you with these questions, if you wish.

Do you have a question concerning wealth management or trusts? Send your inquiry to Leslie Gibbens or Doug Koenig or call 402.323.1324.


© 2017 M.A. Co. All rights reserved.


Back to Top

Add new comment

This blog article is for informational purposes only, and is not an advertisement for a product or service. The accuracy and completeness is not guaranteed and does not constitute legal or tax advice. Please consult with your own tax, legal, and financial advisors.

Investment products: Not FDIC Insured - No Bank Guarantee - May Lose Value.