General FAQs

Does the Union Savings Account earn interest?

Yes, Union Bank offers a competitive variable savings interest rate on this account.

Current rates can be found on the Deposit Account Rates page, in any branch, or by contacting our Customer Support Team at (402) 323-1777 or (800) 297-2837.

How do I get an ATM or Visa Debit card?

The fastest way to obtain a Visa Debit card is to stop into any of our branch locations, where that card will be made in person.

If you are unable to stop into a branch or would like to request an ATM cash card, please contact our Customer Support Team who can send you a Card Services application by mail, which can then be printed and mailed to:

Union Bank and Trust

ATTN: Deposit Services

PO Box 82535

Lincoln, NE 68501-2535

What is Relationship Advantage?

Relationship Advantage gives special benefits for one personal checking account to those with $10,000 or more in combined personal CDs, savings, checking and IRAs. It’s free, and you don’t even have to sign up.

  • With $10,000 in combined personal Certificate of Deposit, Savings, Checking, and Individual Retirement Accounts (Health Savings Account not included) your monthly maintenance fee and debit activity fees are waived on your personal checking accounts.
  • Free, unlimited use of all non-Union Bank ATMs as well as Union Bank ATMs*
  • Qualifying personal accounts in which you are an owner will be included in the combined balance total, as long as you are a primary account holder on at least one of those accounts. 


*Does not waive surcharges some ATM owners may assess. The non-UBT ATM usage fee will be credited back to your account at the end of each statement cycle for any non-UBT ATM usage fee assessed during the statement cycle. Your account must be in active (not closed) status at the time the credit is paid. 

What does APR stand for, and how is it calculated?

APR stands for "annual percentage rate." It is the annualized cost of credit, expressed as a percentage. The APR calculation considers certain fees to reflect the cost of credit in addition to interest.

Do you offer a debit card that takes the place of writing a check?

Yes, Union Bank offers a Visa Debit Card. The Visa Debit Card allows you to make purchases and get cash from any ATM that accepts Visa. You are also able to make deposits at UBT ATMs that are enabled for deposits.

  • There is no monthly or annual card fee.
  • Every transaction is fully detailed on your monthly account statement.
  • There is no fee for transactions at Union Bank ATMs. For transactions and balance inquiries at non-Union Bank ATMs, there is a $2.00 usage fee.*

*If using a non-Union Bank ATM, there may also be a surcharge assessed by the institution that operates the ATM, which UBT cannot control or waive.

Where can I find Union Bank & Trust ATMs?

Find the ATM nearest you using our ATM and Branch locator.  

Union Bank also belongs to the MoneyPass ATM network, giving you surcharge-free options across the United States and Puerto Rico.

How do I update my address with UBT?

If you've moved recently, we may not be able to forward important financial documents to you by mail. Please use one of the secure methods below to ensure that your address is up-to-date.

Notify us through UBTgo

To submit an address change, first log into your UBTgo. Once logged in, select Profile and then Secure Forms, then select "Change Address" Complete the form and click "Submit."

You will need to know each account number that you would like to include in this change.

Contact our Customer Support Team

Call (402) 323-1777 or toll-free (800) 297-2837. See complete hours.

Stop into any Branch Location

Any of our branches would be able to assist you with a change of address form.

How do I change my PIN on my ATM or Visa Debit Card?

You are able to change your PIN at any time by calling our automated system at 800-992-3808. You will be prompted to enter your card number and verification information before changing the PIN.

If I maintain a balance over $100,000 and meet the other four qualifications of the Simply Free Plus account, what rate will I earn on the funds over $100,000?

We will cap the highest interest rate and corresponding annual percentage yield to balances $100,000 and below. You will earn the highest tier on your funds up to $100,000. On balances over $100,000 you will earn a reduced interest rate. This will appear as a blended rate on your statement.

For current Simply Free Plus rates, visit the Deposit Account Rates page.

How can I open an account at Union Bank & Trust?

You may open an account with Union Bank in the following ways:

  1. Stop by any of our branches and meet with a Personal Banker
  2. Complete an online application
  3. Contact our Customer Support Team where they can process applications over the phone and by mail (for existing customers).
Is my money FDIC insured? How much?

Yes, UBT's deposit accounts are FDIC insured. The FDIC's Electronic Deposit Insurance Estimator (EDIE) is an interactive application that can help you learn about deposit insurance and calculate the insurance coverage of your accounts.

You can access the FDIC's EDIE by clicking HERE.

How do I contact the FDIC?

Contact the FDIC toll-free:

877-ASKFDIC (877-275-3342)


What Is the FDIC?

The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) is an independent agency of the United States government that protects funds depositors place in banks and savings associations. FDIC insurance is backed by the full faith and credit of the United States government. Since the FDIC was established in 1933, no depositor has ever lost a single penny of FDIC-insured funds.

FDIC insurance covers all deposit accounts, including checking and savings accounts, money market deposit accounts and certificates of deposit. FDIC insurance does not cover other financial products and services that banks may offer, such as stocks, bonds, mutual fund shares, life insurance policies, annuities or securities.

For further details regarding FDIC please contact your personal banker or visit the FDIC’s website at

Other than FDIC coverage, what options does Union Bank & Trust offer?

A variety of alternatives are available to our customers at Union Bank & Trust. If you are looking for additional FDIC coverage, we are happy to be a member of Promontory Interfinancial Network LLC’s Certificate of Deposit Account Registry Service (CDARS). In addition, Union Bank & Trust is a full-service bank that can offer a wide variety of alternative investments beyond CDs or other basic deposit accounts. Please feel free to speak to one of our friendly personal bankers about the variety of options available to you. Contact us at (402) 323-1777 or toll-free 1-800-297-2837.

What is the CDARS program and how does it work?

CDARS is the Certificate of Deposit Account Registry Service, and it's the easiest, most convenient way to enjoy full FDIC insurance on deposit amounts larger than $250,000.

When you place your large deposit with Union Bank & Trust, we (Union Bank) break down the amounts to be under $250,000 and place them with other banks that are members of a special network. By working with just one bank - Union Bank & Trust - your entire investment is eligible for FDIC insurance.

You earn one rate on your CDARS investment based on the term you select - so you don't have to deal with multiple rate negotiations and consolidating multiple disbursement checks.

You receive one regular account statement listing all of your CDs, along with their issuing banks, maturity dates, interest earned and other details.

You can learn more at this site:

I lost my Visa Debit card. What should I do?

If you have lost your Visa Debit card, please follow these two steps as soon as possible:

1. Report your card Lost or Stolen by calling (402) 323-1777, toll free at 1-800-297-2837 or by stopping by your local branch.

2. Review your account for any unauthorized activity. If you find unauthorized activity, please report the activity as soon as possible to your local police or to our Customer Support Team at (402) 323-1777 or toll free at 1-800-297-2837.

If you are unsure whether your card is lost or you believe it may be among your belongings (in your home or vehicle), you may also temporarily restrict your debit card through UBTgo. Once logged in, select the Debit Card Controls link and use the arrows on the left and right to locate the correct card. Then click on the "Block Card" toggle. If you locate your card, you will be able to remove the block using these same steps.

What changes are happening to the way U.S. Savings Bonds are sold?

Paper Series EE and I Savings Bonds are no longer sold through financial institutions or mail-in orders, as of December 31, 2011.

Savings bonds haven't gone away, though. You can purchase electronic savings bonds online through TreasuryDirect at

TreasuryDirect is a secure web-based system through which you can establish accounts to purchase, hold, and manage Treasury securities online, anytime.

I already have paper savings bonds. What will happen to them?

Existing paper savings bonds are valid issues of the Treasury Department and will earn interest for 30 years from the issue date or until redeemed. You can redeem paper bonds at most local financial institutions.

You also can convert your paper savings bonds to electronic savings bonds in TreasuryDirect using a program called SmartExchange. There's no charge to convert paper bonds. No earned interest will be lost, and the bonds will keep their original issue dates and current interest rate terms.

Why should I use TreasuryDirect?

At Treasury Direct (

  • You can buy, manage and redeem Treasury securities online 24/7, from the convenience of home, work, or wherever you have secure Internet access.
  • In addition to savings bonds, you can buy and manage marketable Treasury securities: Treasury bills, notes, bonds and TIPS (Treasury Inflation-Protected Securities).
  • You can establish multiple registrations in one account.
  • You can set up a simple payroll savings plan to automatically invest in savings bonds.
  • You can schedule recurring purchases for savings bonds and marketable securities.
  • Your savings bonds purchases are generally added to your account in just one business day.
  • Since the securities are electronic, there is no paper to lose, and no need to go to a local financial institution to redeem them.
  • When the funds are needed, and after the minimum holding period has been reached, you can redeem part or all of your savings bonds. The payment will be deposited to your checking or savings account, and the funds should reach your financial institution in just one business day.
  • You can establish accounts for minor children and for specific purposes such as education or vacations.
  • You can view and print your account summary, including recent purchases, payments and account balance.
How do I sign up for a TreasuryDirect account?

You can apply for a TreasuryDirect account in just three steps which take about 10 minutes at

You will need to provide a few pieces of personal information, including your Social Security number or taxpayer identification number, e-mail address, and bank account and routing number. Finally, you will choose a password, password reminder and security questions. Once you complete all three steps, you will receive an e-mail from TreasuryDirect with your account number and an access card will arrive in the mail within 14 days that will enable you to manage your account.

I've been buying paper bonds to pay future college expenses. Can I still do so?

While paper savings bonds no longer will be available, the same education tax benefit and rules apply to electronic savings bonds in TreasuryDirect.

I like to give savings bonds as gifts. Can I still do so?

Yes. You can buy electronic savings bonds as gifts TreasuryDirect. You can hold the bonds in your gift box area in TreasuryDirect until you’re ready to electronically deliver them to the gift recipient. The recipient must have a TreasuryDirect account (or be named on a minor linked account if under 18 years old).

Does RoundUp require a minimum number of debit card purchases?

There are no minimum required purchases or any maximum number of purchases.  Obviously, the more you use your debit card, the faster your savings will add up.

For RoundUp, should I sign or use my PIN to make a purchase?

Whether you use signature-based or PIN purchases doesn't matter; all debit card transactions are included in the RoundUp program.

Is there a fee for the RoundUp program?

No. There are no special fees or charges to be in the RoundUp program. 

How will I know my RoundUp amount?

There are several ways to check.

Your checking account statement will list each day's purchases using your VISA debit card.  At the end of each business day, we will total the RoundUp amount and list it in one transfer to your designated savings account.   Your savings account statement will show the transfer as a deposit on that same day.   And if you are not signed up for our Combination Statements (that show both your checking and savings activity on one combined statement) now would be a good time to do so.

Online Banking is a great way to monitor both your checking and savings account as often as you would like.

We also encourage you to sign up for e-Statements.  e-Statements save paper and provide you immediate access to your account statements.  e-Statements are available for both checking and savings accounts. 

With Automatic Transfer, what dollar amount will transfer to my checking account?

Automatic Transfer will automatically sweep funds in increments of $100 to cover an overdraft. 

With Automatic Transfer, what if I do not have enough funds in my transfer account to cover the overdraft in my checking account?

Automatic Transfer will transfer whatever remaining balance you have in the transfer account to attempt to cover as much of the overdraft as it can.  It will also charge the Automatic Account Transfer fee of $3. 

If the overdraft is not covered by the Automatic Transfer, the item may be paid or returned, and you would incur our NSF Paid/Returned Item fee.

With Overdraft Privilege, do you guarantee that you will pay my overdraft?

Overdraft Privilege is a courtesy and we can't promise to pay every overdraft.  Rather than automatically returning any insufficient funds items that you may have, we will consider, without obligation on our part, payment of your reasonable overdrafts. 

Does Overdraft Privilege work for both checks and debit card purchases?

We do authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions:

  • Checks and other transactions made using your checking account number
  • Automatic bill payments

We do not authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions unless you ask us to opt in:

  • ATM transactions
  • Everyday debit card transactions

We pay overdrafts at our discretion, which means we do not guarantee that we will always authorize and pay any type of transaction.  If we do not authorize and pay an overdraft, your transaction will be declined.

How do I opt-in to Debit Card Overdraft Privilege?

If you also want us to authorize and pay overdrafts on ATM and everyday debit card transactions, call 800.297.2837 or 402.323.1777, stop into any branch location, or complete this online opt-in form.

How do I best monitor my accounts?

What We Encourage You To Do

First and foremost, watch your account. Use Online Banking, Mobile Banking, or bank statements to review each of your transactions. If you believe there is an unauthorized transaction on your Union Bank & Trust account, contact your local branch or call 1.800.297.2837 or 402.323.1777 immediately.

It is also a good idea to review your credit report from a Credit Bureau. Click here for more information and request a credit report.

What steps do I take if I may have suspicious activity on my account?

Contact us immediately. You may contact your local branch or call 1.800.297.2837 or 402.323.1777.

It is also a good idea to review your credit report from a Credit Bureau. Get more information or request a credit report here. You are entitled to receive a free credit report every year.

Equifax – 800-525-6285

Experian – 888-397-3742

TransUnion – 800-680-7289


In the future what can I do to monitor my account?

The best way to monitor your account is with Online Banking or Mobile Banking. Both offer access to your account transactions, balances and pending activity anytime of the day, seven days a week

What order do you process transactions on my account?

We may not process your transactions in the order in which they occurred.  We will generally post your transactions in the order of lowest dollar amount to highest dollar amount, with electronic transactions (such as ACH, debit card or ATM transactions) prior to check transactions.  The order in which we receive and process your transactions can affect the total amount of overdraft fees you incur.  

Why is my account inactive?

A checking or savings account will become inactive after 12 months of no credit or debit activity.

Are there any fees for Overdraft Privilege?

You will be assessed a $34 NSF Paid Item fee for each item paid into overdraft; or a $34 NSF Returned Item fee for each nonsufficient fund item we return unpaid. You may be assessed up to five NSF fees per day. In addition, a $25 Continuous Overdraft Fee will be charged on every fifth consecutive business day your account remains in overdraft status (regardless of what caused the overdraft).

Will you always pay my overdrafts?

Overdraft Privilege is a discretionary service, which means we do not guarantee that we will authorize and pay a transaction presented for payment if the account does not contain sufficient funds.

What if I opt in to the payment of ATM and everyday debit card transactions now, but change my mind later?

If you no longer want to authorize the payment of overdrafts on your ATM and everyday debit card transactions, you may opt out by stopping by any Union Bank & Trust location; contacting us at 800-297-2837 or in Lincoln 402-323-1777; or by using the online opt out form.

When do I receive my savings account statements?

Savings account statements are rendered quarterly. If you have a checking account and have elected for combined statements then you will receive a statement monthly.

My account is inactive, what do I do?

To reactivate an inactive account simply stop into any one of our branches and make an in person transaction or call our customer support team at 402-323-1777.

What do I need to open a checking account?

To open a checking account, you will need a government-issued form of identification, your Social Security number (if available), proof of address and opening deposit.

Can I have multiple checking accounts?

Yes, Union Bank and Trust does not place limits on the number of checking accounts that you maintain with us.

How can I close an account?

We require a signature from an account owner to close an account. The fastest and simplest way is to stop into any branch location. 

How can I remove an owner from an account?

We are not able to remove an account owner; a new account would need to be opened.

How can I add someone to an account?

The fastest way to add someone to your account would be to stop into any branch location with them.

How do I notify UBT of my travel plans?

If you are traveling outside of your typical purchasing area we can place travel notes on your cards. You can stop into any branch, speak with Customer Support, or notify us via the Message Center within UBTgo.

What do I do if my debit card is not working or needs replaced?
  • The fastest way to obtain a Visa Debit card is to stop into any of our branch locations, where that card will be made in person.
  • If you are not able to stop into a branch, contact our Customer Support Team.
What do I do if I have lost my debit card?

You can place a temporary “block” on your card through the Debit Card Controls section of UBTgo.

To report your card lost or stolen, please call us at 402-323-1777 or toll free at 1-800-297-2837.

How do I change my card design?

You may request a new card design in person at any branch, or by calling or chatting with us.

When is interest deposited? (CD’S)

Interest is applied to Certificates of Deposit quarterly and at maturity.

Can I have my CD's interest direct deposited into my checking account?

Yes, you can have interest direct deposited into your checking account or reinvested into your current CD

What is the forfeiture for early withdrawal from a CD?

7-90 day CD - All interest is lost

3-9 month CD - 92 days' worth of interest is lost

10-60 month CD - 182 days' worth of interest is lost

Why would I want to open a CD?

CDs offer a few advantages.

  • CDs typically pay a higher interest rate than other FDIC insured deposit products. Usually, the higher the rate, the longer the term.
  • Your returns are guaranteed. You will know exactly how much money you will earn by the time the CD matures. 
  • CDs also have the security of being FDIC-insured up to the maximum limits.
How long is my grace period? (CD's)

The grace period on a Certificate of Deposit is the maturity date plus 10 calendar days.

How am I notified when my CD is mature?

We will send a maturity notice by mail two weeks prior to maturity.

What is a checking account?

A checking account is a basic bank account that allows you to deposit and withdraw money in a variety of ways at your convenience.

What’s the difference between a debit card and a credit card?

A debit card allows you access to the money in your checking account. A credit card gives you access to an approved line of credit, and you repay the balance later.

What do I need to open a checking account, if I’m an international student?

Federal regulations require proper identification to open a checking account, including: your legal name, permanent address, date of birth, Social Security number or tax identification number (or a completed W-8BEN form in lieu of a tax ID number), and government-issued identification such as your passport, U.S. driver’s license, or state ID. If you do not have a Social Security or tax ID number, then we’ll help you complete a W-8BEN form. The following tips will help you complete the form quickly and easily:

  • Part I, #3: List your address in your home country
  • Part I, #4: List your address in Lincoln
  • Part II, #10: Explain that you are a UNL student.
How can I access the money in my checking account?

UBT offers a free Visa debit card to give you access to the money in your checking account. Your debit card can be used to make purchases at local merchants and online. It can also be used to withdraw cash from ATMs.

All UNL Campus ATMs are UBT ATMs, so you will not be charged a fee to use them.

To use an ATM, you’ll need to select a PIN for your card. The PIN is a four-digit number that you choose, which must be entered by you each time you use your card at an ATM. Your debit card can also be used when you travel throughout the United States and internationally. Chat with your banker before you use your card while traveling to get all the necessary information.

Can I use my debit card internationally?

Yes, international transactions will have a 1% fee assessed. When traveling, notify us ahead of time so that your card is not restricted for suspected fraud. 

What is the reason for a savings account?

Savings accounts are best for money that you intend to set aside. You can deposit into your savings account as many times as you like, but there are limits on how often you can withdraw in a month. Typically, savings accounts earn some interest. 

Where can I find my account number and routing number?

Union Bank's routing number is 104910795.

You can find your account number in a few places:

  1. In UBTgo accessed through desktop or the mobile browser on the Account Details section of the Account Activity Screen
  2. On your checks
  3. On a monthly statement either mailed to your or accessed through UBTgo


What do I need to open a Simply Free UNL Account?

Domestic students need a government issued ID and their N Card.

International students will need a passport and their N Card.

I need a voided check for my direct deposit, where can I get one?

A branch can print a direct deposit form for you. You can also download and print our Direct Deposit Form.

Do you offer student loans?

Our partner offers student loans through

Why do you need to know the value of the transaction for the Medallion Signature Guarantee?

Our surety bond limits the value of the transaction we are permitted to guarantee. If we guarantee an amount over our limit, you would not be adequately protected.

At what locations can I get a Medallion Signature Guarantee?

Signature Guarantee services are available by appointment at several Union Bank & Trust locations. For the nearest location of an authorized employee, please contact our Customer Support Team at 402.323.1777 or 800.297.2837.

What is UBT's Wire SWIFT Code for receiving an international wire?


To assist our customers living abroad or with family members who live outside of the United States, we have an International Wire SWIFT Code. Use the information below to send a wire to a Union Bank & Trust account:

  1. Receiving Bank: Union Bank & Trust Co.
  2. SWIFT Code: UNTUUS42
  3. Beneficiary: Union Bank & Trust Co. Account Name
  4. Address: Union Bank & Trust Co. Account Address
  5. Account Number: Union Bank & Trust Co. Account Number
Why should I set my paycheck up for direct deposit?

Direct deposit of payroll provides you same-day access to your funds the day your employer issues your check. Eliminate mail delays and the added trip to the bank to make your deposit. With direct deposit, you'll simply receive your paycheck in your personal checking account on your payday. That's it!

To be eligible to receive Direct Deposit into your personal checking account, your employer must be enrolled in the service on their business checking account. If you are currently receiving a check, ask your employer if direct deposit is available. A branch can print a direct deposit form for you. You can also download and print our Direct Deposit Form.

How do I order checks?

You can easily order checks by logging in to UBTgo on Desktop. On the account summary screen, click the "Order Checks" link next to the corresponding checking account to be take to our preferred check supplier. 

How do I know if I can tap to pay with my card?

Look for the Contactless Indicator on your card to know if you can use it to tap to pay for purchases.

Do I actually have to tap my contactless card on the contactless-enabled terminal?

No. However, the card should be close (within 1-2 inches) to the Contactless Symbol on the

contactless-enabled terminal.

How do I hold my contactless card to the contactless-enabled terminal?

The terminal reads the card best when it is flat over the Contactless Symbol, versus at an angle.

How long do I need to hold my contactless card to the contactless-enabled terminal?

You should hold your contactless card to the contactless-enabled terminal for 1 – 2 seconds.

Can I unknowingly make a purchase if I am in close proximity to a contactless-enabled terminal?

No. Contactless technology requires the merchant to first initiate the payment, and the contactless card must be held in close proximity (1 - 2 inches) to the terminal for a transaction to take place.